Flash Mobs anyone?

FLASH MOBS:

DEFINITION???
1. A large group of people gathered by social media to meet in a public place for the purpose of doing an unusual or entertaining activity for a short duration.
2. A hell of a lot of fun.

How is this 'Public Art' you say?

Rewind and watch again, please.

Given an early example of public art 'moving' and 'interacting' I thought this to be a perfect specimen. In an attempt to escape from the mundane thinking that public art only consists of giant murals in the middle of town squares I give you one of my personal favorite examples of-for lack of a better word- PUBLIC ART. Haha.
a large group of people mobilized by social media to meet in a public place for the purpose of doing an unusual or entertaining activity of short duration
Art being expression mixed in with a dab of creativity and whatnot, a flash mob is classified as both 'ART' as well as being guilty of belonging to the public.

2 comments:

J. Hawkins said...

Alex, I'm so glad you posted this. I think this is undoubtedly an example of public art! We'll explore more "works" like this one as we go through the semester.

Matt (Tiger) Delaney said...

This video was great, mainly because i have experienced that exact situation. Just like in this video, the crowd around me who were not frozen also were surprised and confused, including me.