Tape Melbourne




Like a giant spider weaving a web or a silk worm at work, the two-meter high tendons of this structure made entirely of packing tape extends over Fed Square in Melbourne, Australia.

Created by the collective group Numen/For Use, Tape Melbourne is a temporary work made entirely of regular packing tape, a self extinguishing tape and multiple layers of the transparent adhesive.

This is the first work of Numen/For Use to be shown in the Southern Hemisphere. Similar iterations of the installation have been shown in Europe to critical success including Vienna Design Week (2009), center stage at DMY 2010 Berlin's International Design Festival where the work was one of three awarded projects, Mikser Design Expo Belgrade (2010) as well prominent German gallery, Schirn Kunsthalle.

6 comments:

Larryian [Lari] Taylor said...

I wonder how long this piece was installed and how many people can interact with it at a time??? I think its a great piece and it kinda reminds me of the giant spider sculpture I post last week.

taylormhairston said...

I looked up more about it and found out that 50 people at a time can crawl through it. I can't believe tape is strong enough to hold that many folks.

Olivia said...

Construction wise I wonder how long this took to complete? It reminds me of a giant playground in Disney Hollywood Studios.

emily said...

I love it and the fact that they used tape but i my self would never walk on it. but it defenitly reminds me of a spider web.

Avia said...

This is really cool. People actually get to pretend like their in a spiderweb and it's made out of tape. People actually get to interact with it!

Matt (Tiger) Delaney said...

well we can all say this is the most attractive art because a third of the class has commented on it. but yeah i love this post as bad as i hate spider webs and spiders in general, its a hobby of mine. its really creative though, very interesting but scary post.