Freedom isn't Free.

Vietnam Veterans memorial- Washington D.C.


Seals of the 5 branches.



My proposal is for a peace sign (6ft tall) cut out of plywood. the peace sign will be painted with an American flag at the top (with the words FREEDOM ISN"T FREE painted across it in black), at the bottom will be the Louisiana state flag, on the right between the flags will be the Army seal (an eagle) and on the left, the Navy seal (an eagle with an anchor). On the center line will be the Marine Corps seal (the globe and anchor). On the right branch the Airforce seal (the wings), and on the left the Coast Guard seal (double anchors). Around the logos will be all the names of the people in Caddo/Bossier Parish(es) who have died in the war since 2001. Incorportaing not only the Louisiana and American flags, but also all branches of the armed forces, will make this very inclusive.

I think this is an important thing to remind the people in our community of because people have become so complacent with the war. People don't realize that everyday people are sacrificing themselves for our freedom- which isn't something that we get free. I think this is a good idea because it will get people to realize that this war is still going on while also serving as a reminder of those lost in the war. I also think that people should be allowed to leave things at and contribute to this memorial in ways they see fit. This would get the public involved in it.

site-undecided.

5 comments:

Caitster said...

Really like the "freedom isnt free" aspect of this project. It could get a lot of attention.

Whitney said...

I love that you changed it from pray for peace to freedom isn't free. I think it has a much larger impact. The description is a little complicated, I can't picture it in my mind so I'd love to see a sketch of it in class.

Jesse Brawley said...

I like this piece. It brings a lot of attention to an often understated sacrifice. Even the survivors sacrificed a significant chunk of their lives just to get back. I was wondering about incorporating that into it somehow as well. Sort of a "all gave some, some gave all" kind of thing.

Unknown said...

I'll sketch it up for cless. I like the sacrifice idea. I know alot of people who have been over there, and they did sacrifice so much. I think that is a good idea to incorporate.

Matt (Tiger) Delaney said...

when i saw the vietnam memorial i immediately though about our troops in iraq fighting not only for our freedom but for the freedom of others to gain peace overseas. a really great motto that is known by our military is "We are liberators, not conqueror's."
Great post!