Underwater Art

This is another interesting sculpture I came across. Here is some info about it:

"Jason de Caires Taylor, a visionary artist from the UK has filled the ocean floor of Cancun with 100’s of crazy sculptures. His ocean art would be impossible to view on a boat engaged in activities such as freight shipping Durban goods to Europe as his sculptures are located far under the freezing cold waves of the Pacific Ocean. Jason is not only interested in making an artistic statement though, he is interested in creating a new, miniature coral reef of sorts that can accommodate a host of endangered species that are quickly running out of breeding and feeding grounds." from website called Originalbuzz.info

5 comments:

Whitney said...

This reminds me of some of the sunken stone sculptures I encountered somewhere off the coast of some Central American Island. I can't remember where but I must say it was quite bizarre to see those pieces of works down there. And I think for the artist to intentionally put them there is very creative. It's a public place that hasn't been explored much by artists.

Also, it'd be really creepy to just come across those while scuba diving.

Jesse Brawley said...

Definitely something I would remember if I happened to come across it. Doubt I would forget the time I was just out for a stroll on the ocean floor and just so happened to cross paths with an art installation. What I want to know though is how they managed to set it all down so perfectly to make it look so even like it was set there before the tide took over.

Larryian [Lari] Taylor said...

I think this is a rare piece of art although I think I would be kinda of freaked out if I were to randomly come across it scuba diving. Do you know how long it took the artist to install sculpture? [Mad wicked piece.]

Larryian [Lari] Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt (Tiger) Delaney said...

Don't know why, but this reminds me of pearl harbor mainly because mainly live where lost at sea, and mainly of the sailors how were stuck inside the drowning ships were holding hands before they drowned to their death. great post