Blue Mustang.

Blue Mustang. Denver.
Louis Jiminez.


*This is a representation of the multicultural signification of dialogical ethics.


The blue Mustang sculpture is located outside of the Denver airport. It is rather controversial, and many people want it removed because they feel that it is 'scary' and they don't want to be scared before getting on an airplane. It has recieved nice nicknames such as: Bluecifer, the Devil's Steed, and Blue Devil Horse. Also, going with its evil quality, Louis Jiminez, the sculptor, was killed when a piece of the sculpture fell on him in his studio in 2006 (his sons finished the work).
Some people are fine with the mustang being there. It loks strong and wild, like wild horses do, so they are unphased by it.


The sculpture was commissioned in 1993, and finished and installed in 2008.





4 comments:

taylormhairston said...

This is an odd piece to me. First, the history of it paired with its look, as you said, is creepy.

But it also seems unconnected to the rest of the area, like the "plop art" we discussed. That is based on what I see from the photos and what not. Is there any connection you know of?

Caitster said...

I think its a little weird that I didn't see this while I was in Denver!!

I like this piece...but I like public art that is "out there"...that challenges people.

However, I can also see how it can be considered plop art....I don't see any reason that it was put in that spot.

Jesse Brawley said...

After reading the history, this piece seems like the topic of a Stephen King novel. I can see why a lot of people don't want it there, looking so uncontrollable. I wouldn't think "uncontrollable" would be the best thought when stepping onto a plane. But I can also see why it comes off as plop art. I don't often think "wild horses" when I go to the airport. If anything, I'd say its some type of memorial for the father, but even so, you'd think they'd pick a better place to install it.

emily said...

I definately believe that it come off as plop art, but the realistic aspects it upholds is intriguing.