Freedom

Freedom by Zenos Frudakis, 2000















20' x 8' Bronze
GSK World Headquarters, 16th and Vine streets,
Philadelphia, PA

Using the bronze Freedom sculpture, Frudakis has expressed his ability to extract from mankind a hidden universal inclination to abscond from the perimeters we find ourselves imprisoned within and break into the widely pursued sensation of disenthrallment.

I love this piece because of the detail not seen in the photo. It is very organic and includes objects that were cast into the bronze. If you were to study the sculpture multiple times, you'd find something new every time.
Although the driving factor behind the conception was something personal for the artist, the subject matter is something we all share on different levels:

"Although for me, this feeling sprang from a particular personal situation, I was conscious that it was a universal desire with almost everyone; that need to escape from some situation – be it an internal struggle or an adversarial circumstance, and to be free from it."

The building is the GSK World Headquarters, a pharmaceutical company. As to why the this building was chosen for installation, the artist gives no hints. Sure we can try to draw connection between the two but I'd rather not, I think it takes away from the overall meaning of the piece.

6 comments:

Larryian [Lari] Taylor said...

I think this piece is unique. It kinda makes me think of people breaking free or escaping from daily obstacles. Its awesome how the people coming out of the walls I really it.

Olivia said...

If I were to see this walking down the street, it would defiantly catch my eye. Without having any previous knowledge of what the artist was trying to convey it certainly does broadcast a message to every person.

Unknown said...

I like how different this peice is. I also find it interesting that its on a seemingly random building. This would be an awesome thing to see walking down the street.

taylormhairston said...

I think this is something that all people can connect to in some way. Also, it is very neat to look at.

Like the rest of you, I do wonder why it is placed on that particular building.

Caitster said...

I "stumbled" on this piece the other day and really like it! I like that the piece truly expresses freedom, and everyone can relate this to something they've experienced. Very cool piece!

Avia said...

This piece is great because it shows the process of the girl becoming. It's like four pieces in one. I especially like the last part because it looks like she's dancing and happy.