The Fun Theory

The Fun Theory is a Volkswagen initiative designed to change the behavior of people for the better by utilizing everyone's innate desire of fun. One experiment that stood out the most for me was the piano staircase in Stockholm. The goal was to get people to use the staircase rather than the adjacent escalator.

Whether or not it was intended to be an art installation it became one. When I think of public art, I imagine any creation that captivates viewers so much that they take time from their busy lives to admire the work. In this case, people stopped or lingered around the staircase just for a bit of fun.

This idea has been replicated in many cities across the world so I don't know where the original was installed or by whom.

3 comments:

Matt (Tiger) Delaney said...

Wow. That was very inspiring to see. i love how the crowd is mesmerized by the simple sounds of stepping on stairs. This is also very interesting because there are rarely any places around the world with piano steps w/t music which is also why most of the crowd chose the stairs. Long story short, its merely the fact that they probably have never seen anything like that before.

Caitster said...

I found this a few months ago, and I've always wanted to try it somewhere around town!

taylormhairston said...

Very neat. It would make me pick the stairs because I would play on them. I just wonder how many people have fallen down them accidentally while playing?

Our book said somewhere that public art should activate a public space, and this piece does that.