Knitting: the new graffiti



Location: Yellow Springs Ohio
Artists Multiple
Work in process, started in October 2010











For a town already recognized for its offbeat art this local community decided to take a step further and reinvent graffiti in a whole new way. Corrine Bayraktaroglu the artist who helped start the Knitknot tree project wanted to do something involving the community. Not only clothing trees all over town but using knitting to tag almost any object you might think of. Whether it be a door knob, street sign, benches or even a beer bottle. The town has become very invested in these projects even inserting pockets in the trees so they are able to put pictures, good luck charms, poems and jokes. Tourists find these off kilter sites fascinating and participate, putting their own pictures and objects in the trees. Being someone who personally enjoys knitting I find this to be an interesting take on public art. It takes what graffiti artists do, tagging various street objects, but uses a whole new medium. There seems to be a growing mass of what I would call rebel knitters, taking ordinary street fare and adding a little artistic flare to them.












1 comments:

ALEX said...

I love the wit involved in this. Earlier I was considering put simple graffiti down as my public art post, but when I saw this I knew I couldnt do that. The term graffitti usually generates such negative conitations. But using kniiting as the medium and the actual art itself as a means to bring a community together obliterates that concept. Thank you for posting this.