Eye




Tony Tasset Eye
Loop Pritzker Park, Chicago

When it comes to temporary public art nothing strikes the interest of the public quiet like a 30-foot-tall eye. Modeled after the artists own blue eye this steel reinforced fiberglass sculpture was installed June 28th, 2010 and displayed through October 31st, 2010. Commissioned by the Chicago Loop Alliance (CLA) they wanted to help bring tourism to the Loop, as well as, provide jobs to people. The Eye in my opinion carries a commentary of (big brother is watching) it's there to observe your life as you commute one place to another.

4 comments:

Caitster said...

I was totally going to blog about this! One of my favorite Chicago pieces. I have a weird thing for "eye art" so that could be why, but I've always liked this huge eyeball!

taylormhairston said...

Every time I see an eye, I think of those eye drop commercials with Ben Stine.

But in regards to the post, I think this is neat. It definitely attracts attention, its interesting to look at, and the message is accessible enough.

Whitney said...

I like that you decided to post pictures of the building process. It sort of feels like I'm watching these people build this giant observing eye that's going to in return watch me wherever I go. Big brother is watching indeed.

emily said...

This seems to me kinda like plop art, but kinda creepy cause the public for that short period of time always had one eye on them at all times. Still love the detail in it though