Melting Men

Melting Men

Nele Avezado

Ice Sculptures

These little men are an example of how an artist cannot dictate the message that her work broadcasts. Avezado's original mission was to challenge our interpretation of monuments in contemporary cities. "In a few-minute action, the official canons of the monument are inverted: in the place of the hero, the anonym; in the place of the solidity of the stone, the ephemeral process of the ice; in the place of the monument scale, the minimum scale of the perishable bodies."

However, she has been commissioned for installations in several cities around the world in order to make a statement on our changing climate. When asked if she is a climate change activist, she answered no, "I'm glad it can also speak of urgent matters that threaten our existence on this planet," but I'm an artist.

Between the two statements, I believe these Melting Men bringing awareness to a changing climate has a much bigger impact than how we view historical monuments.



4 comments:

Jesse Brawley said...

That's incredible. I wonder how if she used a mold to form the figures or if she actually carved each one into their forms. Must be tedious work either way to make so many. I enjoyed the fact that people assumed it had some deep meaning behind it involving climate change, and she just told them that she did it because she actually enjoyed making them. Good post.

Olivia said...

Even though it may not have been her intended commentary I think this does have an environmental conscious about it. I like the effect the army of tiny ice men give.

emily said...

Yeah I want to know how she made them as well and it defenitely seems to have double meaning with the environment and the economy.

ALEX said...

I know I'm suppose to comment on other posts lacking comments. But I cant help it. Those ice men are simply too beautiful to go unacknowledged by me. It's sad to me, that they are simply going to melt one day. Art ends and it's almost tragic.