The Bridge.

The Bridge is a sculpture by Elena Colombo. It's in Bethlehem, PA at the site of the old Bethlehem Steel Plant, at a arts school called SteelStacks. The fire is to symbolize the fires that once burned all night in the plants, and is lit nightly at 6pm.

the model.

 putting it up, with the old steel plant in back.
completed, without the fire.

The sculpture is made of steel, with a fire going through the middle at night.

I really like how she used a steel sculpture to commerate the old steel plant. I also like the fire being a part of it, and symbolizing how important the fire was to the steel workers.

6 comments:

taylormhairston said...

I bet this is something that has a lot of meaning to the people of the town. Some of the old workers may be honored by this. I think the idea of connecting with and bringing elements of the town into public art is one of the best ways to actually make it public. I like this.

Mary Frances Querbes said...

I love the way the artist combined the steel and the fire to commemorate the steel plant. I like the modern aspect to it.

Jesse Brawley said...

The connection between the sculpture and hard work put into the factory is beautiful. The fire part of the sculpture also gives a sort of life to it as well, but I have to wonder if the concept of a fire being involved caused any alarm in the process of admitting it.

Matt (Tiger) Delaney said...

This bridge-looking art is almost similar to the walk path in the movie Thor. If one were to put that walk path towards a door, i would think it would be some kind of bridge to a majestic city of some sort. love this picture though, very creative.

Whitney said...

I agree with Taylor and Mary Frances, using steel as the medium seems like the only logical thing to do. The fire adds the spirit of the plant and its workers, raising the entire piece to a higher level of meaning. But I wonder how much it costs to keep it lit every night. I'd also like to see a night shot of it.

Whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.