Charleston Arch

Charleston Arch

Charles Ginnever
1980, Painted steel on concrete base

This piece was commissioned by the West Virginia Arts and Humanities organization and chosen by the citizens to grace downtown Charleston. It was funded by the NEA through the Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation.

It sort of reminds me of those molecular structures everyone builds in their high school chemistry class. More so it's like an optical illusion. Each angle you look at it from is different than the last, so it's a very dynamic piece.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really love how different this looks from different angles. It's almost like its a different sculpture as you walk around it. That makes it more interesting for me because its like you wouldn't get tired of looking at it because it changes so much.

Mary Frances Querbes said...

I like the fat that it looks different from all angles as well. It sort of symbolizes a connected community and city to me.

Jesse Brawley said...

Thank you for uploading multiple pictures of the piece. At first, I thought it was just an arch made of metal boxes welded together, but when I saw the last picture showing they were all two dimensional for the most part, I was blown away.